As the end of the year approaches, it’s time to celebrate achievements and give thanks for the amazing work our schools do.
This year we combined a few of our annual events into one massive affair at the Woodville Town Hall.
Our Annual General Meeting (AGM) brought together CLS members from over 30 schools. They reviewed CLSSA’s activities and finances for the year and voted in a new CLSSA Board Member.
The formal proceedings for the night were opened with a speech on Intercultural Learning Experiences from Khuyen (Quin) Tran – Councillor for the City of Charles Sturt and Principal of the Vietnamese Community School in SA.
Throughout the night, 70 pieces of art by children across 14 CLSs were exhibited in the Town Hall. These pieces were submitted as part of the 2023 Art Showcase, celebrating what children consider to be the main reasons for learning language.
See the entries submitted by our winners.
Later in the evening, six CLSs participated in the Performance Showcase. Students from these schools danced their way across the stage in colourful displays of their cultures.
We had captivating performances on the night from:
- Uyghur Language School
- Adelaide Nepali Vidhyalaya
- Australian Druze Arabic School
- PALF Australia Urdu School
- Port Adelaide Greek School
- Adelaide Marathi Vidyalaya
Finally, we had assistance from the Honourable Mira El Dannawi MCL to award certificates to CLS teachers who completed their Foundations, Bridging and SACE courses through CLSSA. In addition, exemplary teacher awards were presented to:
- Rosary Peter of the South Australia Tamil School for her work in Language Programs that inspire students to actively engage with language learning, and
- Zambica DeGeorge of Port Adelaide Greek School for her development of cultural programs that teach language through creative means
Thank you to our wonderful volunteers from the sector who helped us to host the Showcase. We couldn’t have done it without you!
We look forward to an even bigger and better celebration next year.